Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Karen Burniston December Designer Challenge Day 2



Hi everyone,

As promised yesterday I am back with my second card for our December Karen Burniston Designer Challenge. This time round the theme is  Home for the Holidays - Let's see how you can interpret the phrase. Use the House, Holiday House or Barn (or are you making a tree house?) or some sort of "home" on a Holiday card.

Today I am going with a Gingerbread theme for this challenge. Lots of people make Gingerbread Houses which they have on display as part of their Christmas decorations and of course this has the added bonus of being able to eat it. They also make great gifts. And I figured even Gingerbread Men needed a home for the holidays right???



I started my card using the Holiday House die set, as you can see I decided to extend the house by die cutting two of the smaller parts of the house and adding them to each side of the main house.

The main part of the house was die cut in brown including the roof and then the windows and gables were all die cut using white card that had Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the front and then covered with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter once die cut. I then added Transparent/Gold Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers over the windows and gable. 

I wanted the roof to look like it was covered with candy so I used the Fancy Frame Edges which I die cut in 4 different colors and then used the circles this produced to decorate the house. I added more Transparent/Gold Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers to each of the circles.

I also wanted to incorporate Candy Canes which are from the Jolly the Mouse die set. I layered two of the candy canes from the back so they would go the opposite way and adhered them to each edge of the smaller sections of the house. I cut two more candy canes which I layered around the vertical part of the door frame.

Once the house was complete I created a Rectangle Pull Card which I turned to make an Easel style of card. Before attaching the house to the inside part of the card, I added some snow using the Outdoor Edges die set, this again uses Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the front and then covered with Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter once die cut


For the sentiment I used the rectangle panels from the Gift Card Accordion die set so that I was able to layer my rectangle panels. The sentiment is one I have had for years which goes well with the theme of this card.


Here is the front of the card when it is closed. This is my attempt at making a gingerbread man using two of Karen's Character dies. I used the solid body & scarf from the Chilly the Penguin set for the body and then used the arms, eyes, nose and mouth from Lucky the Rabbit. For the buttons I used the circles left over after die cutting the Fancy Frame Edges.

To finish off the card I added a strip of red card to the top and bottom of the card and added more of the Transparent/Gold Glitter Dots Peel Off Stickers 

If you are looking to purchase Karen's Pop It Ups dies in Australia you can find them at Craft Giraffe(formerly Photo Continental).


Don't forget to check out the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog on Wednesday when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month, plus an amazing card/video tutorial from Karen Burniston.

Stamps: Candy Cane Wishes - Penny Black
Paper: White Soft Finish Cardstock 100lb; Brown; Red; Pink; Orange; Yellow; Green; Cocoa/Gingerbread Collection - Kaisercraft
Dies: Holiday House Accessory; All Seasons Frame Edges; Jolly the Mouse; Rectangle Pull Card; Gift Card Accordion Card; Chilly the Penguin; Lucky the Rabbit - designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Designs
Other ECD Products: Transparent Double Sided Adhesive Tape 64mm; Transparent/Gold Glittter Dots; Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter
Other: Black Ink; Foam Tape



1 comment:

Karen Aicken said...

Yummy yummy yummy - LOVE this!