Saturday, September 2, 2017

Always be a Mermaid!




Hi everyone,

It’s challenge time with the “Crazies” over on the Crazy 4 Challenges blog. Being a brand new month it is time to introduce a new challenge hostess which is Rebecca Ednie.

Apparently Rebecca can't let go of summer. Let's make a card or other project using the ocean or beach as inspiration. Shells to sea horses, boats to bat-wing rays, mermaids to minnows, whales to walruses, dolphins to dories (or Dorys), even nautical narwhals; it all works!

I have had this Sea View Collection stamp set by Sheena Douglass sitting on my desk for months .... it was a freebie in a magazine. So I figured it was about time I used it (I had used something from it a few months back, but not enough to put it away in its new home). I haven't really taken much notice of magazines for a few years, but recently there have been some pretty amazing stamp sets or dies, coming out of them so now I often check out my newsagents, just in case there is a must have one.



I have also been wanting to make a U Fold card which I have seen a number of online ... these are pretty easy to do and they fold flat to fit into a card. 

To create this I started with a piece of cardstock 22.5cm x 11.5cm and scored along the long edge at 3.5cm; 7cm; 15.5cm and 19cm. The panel on the front that the mermaid is sitting on is 15.5cm.

For the background I used a cloud template to sponge on clouds using distress oxide and the ocean at the bottom using distress oxides and a stamp and then cut the panels to mount on each section of the card.



Here is another photo of my card so you can see the different layers. For mine I have three layers ... the front with the mermaid; the middle with the lighthouse and then the back with the yacht. But you could make it simpler by only having two layers.



And finally a look at the card when it is folded flat ready to go into an envelope.



Don't forget to check out the rest of the “Crazies” cards over on the Crazy 4 Challenges blog and also their individual blogs for more details.



Stamps: Sea View Collection - Sheena Douglass; Coastal/Maritime - Inkadinkadoo; Sea - Printblocks
Paper: White; Blue
Distress Oxides: Broken China; Peacock Feather; Salty Ocean; Black Soot; Antique Linen
Other: Behind the Scenes Earth & Sky Stencil - Elizabeth Craft Designs; Clear Wink of Stella Pen; Foam Tape; Copics



4 comments:

Erica said...

WoW! Your card is stunning. I love the sentiment too.

Lois said...

That's pretty cool, Frances. I have seen that technique also called a Bridge Card. I like the extra layer between the background and the mermaid.

jojot said...

absolutely gorgeous...every element is done to perfection along with the fancy fold

Karen Aicken said...

Fun card - I've been seeing those a fair bit online these days - glad you got to try one and I like your third layer.